School applications are now open, and if you want to ensure that your child secures a spot for the 2024 school year, then it’s best you apply as soon as possible. Here is everything you need to know about the 2024 application process.
The Western Cape Education Department has officially opened applications for the 2024 school year. The applications are open from today, 13 March, and will close on 14 April 2023.
Before you begin the registration and application process, it is best to make sure that you have all the required supporting documents. Ensure that you have these certified documents on hand:
- The most recent official school report (for learners who have been to school)
- An ID, passport or birth certificate of the learner
- Immunisation card (for primary school learners only)
- Proof of residence
How To Register
- Visit the Western Cape Education Department website.
- Click on 2023/24 Admissions.
- Click ‘apply online’ to begin the process.
- Click on the GR1 and GR8 Applications button.
- If you are a first-time user you will need to register as a user by selecting ‘sign-up’. If you are a registered user, you can simply login using your password. If you have forgotten your password, you will need to reset it.
- You will need to complete ALL the fields and use your ID number as your username.
- Double-check that your contact number and email address is correct.
- Read the terms and conditions carefully before accepting.
- You will need to upload certified copies of ALL the required documentation.
- You will then need to complete the Primary Parent’s profile. Complete all the fields.
- You can then (optionally) complete the Secondary Parent’s profile.
- Select ‘Next’ to complete the learner’s profile – you will now move onto the application process.
If the learner is undocumented, meaning that they do not have a birth certificate, passport, ID or permit, then you will not be able to proceed past this point. You will need to contact your district office or the nearest school and they will capture the application for you.
How To Apply To Schools
- You should be on the ‘Learner’s Profile’ section. Indicate if the learner is applying to a Western Cape school for the first time.
- Enter the CEMIS number, or any other specified number. The learner’s information should automatically load.
- Select the grade for which your learner is applying and complete all the required fields.
- Indicate if the learner participates in any sports, school programmes or leadership roles.
- Select schools. Read the criteria before selecting schools. Choose at least three schools.
- Arrange the selected schools in order of preference.
- Upload certified copies of the learner’s documents. If you do not have certified copies, your local police station will be able to assist you.
- Review and check all the details before you submit your application.
- You should now receive ‘confirmation of submission’ and can print a copy of your application.
Use your learner’s CEMIS number for any queries. You can now track the status of your application.
Once your learner has received a placement at a school, or schools, you will need select one of them and confirm the acceptance before 19 June 2023.
If your application has been unsuccessful and your child was not accepted to any school at which you applied, you will need to contact the WCED to assist you in finding an available place.
Take note that you will need to submit hard copies of certified documents to the school within 7 days of the parent accepting the place at the school.
To ensure placement at a school, select at least three schools, including ones closest to your residence.
Please note that this is only applicable to students in the Western Cape.
For more information, you can visit the WCED website.